Royal Rise Primary School follows the Kent Country Council admissions criteria.
By law, children have to start school by the beginning of the school term after their fifth birthday (this is when they reach compulsory school age).
The local authority’s policy is to encourage schools to admit four year olds so that as many children as possible will have at least eight terms in Key Stage 1. The decision on whether or not to admit four year olds is made and reviewed annually by the Head of School and in consultation with the Governors.
The number of places available is determined by the physical capacity of the school and is called the ‘Published Admissions Number’. Our published admissions number is 30. The LA, in consultation with the Executive Head and Head of School, may set a higher figure for a particular year group. The law gives parents the right to state a preference for any school, but not automatic choice. If your preference is Royal Rise Primary School, a place will be offered if there are vacancies.
If the school is over-subscribed, the following criteria will be taken into account in the order listed below:
- Children in the care of Kent County Council
- Current Family Association (sibling link)
- Health and Special Access Reasons
- Nearness of children’s homes and ease of access to schools ‘using the distance between the child’s permanent address and the school, measured in a straight line using ordnance survey address point data.
How old should your child be when they start school?
A school year runs from 1st September in one calendar year to 31st August in the next, so children who will reach compulsory school age during the school year 2020/2021 are those born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016.
Primary school application procedure:
- All parents wishing to apply for their child to start school in September 2019 can do so from 5th November 2019.
- You can apply online or fill out a paper application form – these are available from Kent primary schools or by using a standard paper form known as the Reception Common Application Form (RCAF).
- Information about schools in Kent can be found in the Primary Admissions Booklet 2020
- The deadline for all applications is Monday 10th February 2020
- All parents who have applied will be sent an email on 16th April 2020, to tell them which school they have been offered. If a parent has applied by post, they will send a letter by first class post on 16th April. You will also be able to log in from 5pm on 16th April 2020.
- If your child is due to start primary school in September 2020 and you are not happy with the school you have been allocated you can appeal between 16 April and 14 May 2020. For applications made in the normal admission round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. For late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 schools days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 schools days of the appeals being lodged.
Applying for an in-year admission
If your child is already at school and you wish to apply for a school place outside the year of entry, please contact the school to see if there are any spaces:
Phone: 01732 354143
Registering your interest with primary schools
If your child isn’t old enough to start school yet, you may register an interest at any school you want by contacting the school office. When your child is old enough, the school will get in touch with you so that you can collect a booklet and admissions form for that year.
Registering an interest at a school does not give your child priority for a place just because their name has been down longer than any other child.
Our Admissions Policy can be found on our Policy Page.